S
E
B
A
R
Paper and Crayon Batik
July 14th, 2010 by Craftylocks

This uses a technique that, as far as I am aware, is unique to this craft – a technique that you would usually completely avoid – screwing up your artwork!

batik-close

You can use any crayoned picture for this. If you want the best result then bold areas of color, heavy use of crayon and some areas of white paper seem to work really well. But it is the process in this paper craft or art that is so much fun for children. The picture you end up with is just a bonus.

So start off with a crayoned picture. I remembered this cool technique for making a pattern when I came across this Crazy Circles post. I used to love doing these, so I tried doing them again, and hey – I still love doing them.

batik11
Then once you have your beautiful, carefully crafted, perfect picture – you screw it up!! Yep, good and proper – screw it up into a tight little ball, even do it again if that was fun. Carefully un-crumple it and smooth it out flat. You may have a few tears in the edges of it – that is not a problem.

batik21

Now brush on some dye, or food coloring, or runny paint all over the picture. Something that can soak into the paper and be resisted by the crayon. Once you have covered the whole page, use a paper towel to wipe off the excess color. Leave it dry and admire your creation.

batik31

Once you have finished admiring it then keep it handy, as this sort of decorated paper is perfect for lots of other paper crafts for children – and grown-ups too of course!

Bookmark and Share

12 Responses
Craftylocks writes:
February 26th, 2013 at 1:44 am

Hi Michelle, This is one of my favorites too, although sometimes it is ever so hard to pick a favorite!! I hope you find lots of ideas here that you can use:-). Regards,
Sarah

Michelle Rogers writes:
December 29th, 2012 at 7:46 am

I absolutely love this idea. I am always looking for new ideas to use in a Sunday School class. I look forward to seeing more of your ideas and even exchanging ideas for activities with you.

Craftylocks writes:
July 12th, 2012 at 2:31 am

Hi Jemimah,
I hope they will be excited by it too. I think it is a very effective art technique that is also interesting for the children.
Thanks,
Sarah

Jemimah writes:
July 2nd, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I’m excited to teach this to my grade one class!

ציור "מעגלים משוגעים" תמונה השווה מסגור, יצירה עם ילדים « הזמנה ליצירה writes:
June 20th, 2012 at 12:56 am

[...] נוספת ומעניינת לא פחות קיימת ב Paper crafts for children, כאן נעשה שילוב  של  "מעגלים משוגעים" יחד עם [...]

Craftylocks writes:
June 2nd, 2012 at 3:22 am

Hi Mabel,
That is really great to hear – it is so encouraging for me to hear that these ideas are being enjoyed.
Thank you for sharing:-).
Sarah

Mabel writes:
June 1st, 2012 at 11:52 am

I just started a craft club for kids here, in Brazil, and am always looking for colorful and easy projects. This is just FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for sharing.

ציור "מעגלים משוגעים" תמונה השווה מסגור « הזמנה ליצירה writes:
January 16th, 2012 at 1:36 am

Craftylocks writes:
October 24th, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Thanks Sara – I love your Craft Schooling Sunday – so many fabulous ideas, I am thrilled to be part of it.

Sara/creativejewishmom writes:
October 17th, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Hi Sarah, I know this is an oldish post, but i just love it and am going to link to it on Craft Schooling Sunday since I’m missing you! all the best!

Craftylocks writes:
September 7th, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Thanks Violetstone. Messy creativity is great for children, but for those times that it is not suitable there are lots of fun ideas that are on the tidy side. I need to make a list summarizing them for you. I will start working on one:-).
Regards,
Sarah

violetstone writes:
September 7th, 2010 at 8:49 am

this looks brilliant. I am looking for ideas for a kids after school club that I work at. Trouble is the boss hates anything too messy..